Leah Gjertson

Leah GjertsonResearch Specialist

I graduated from the University of Wisconsin-Madison in May 2016 with PhD in Social Welfare. While a graduate student, I worked as a Senior Research Assistant with CFS and served as the graduate student representative on the CFS Steering Committee. My research centers on child welfare system outcomes and the economic security and well-being of low-income families and other vulnerable populations. My dissertation research, which examines the economic circumstances and risk of intergenerational maltreatment among foster care alumni, was supported by a Doris Duke Fellowship for the Promotion of Child Well-Being. I currently work as a Researcher for Chapin Hall at the University of Chicago. Prior experience includes working as a Project Assistant at the Institute for Research on Poverty, a Program and Policy Analyst for the Wisconsin Department of Corrections, a law clerk for the Department of Human Services Division of the Iowa Office of the Attorney General, and as a student attorney at the Middleton Center for Children’s Rights. I have a Masters in Social Work from the University of Wisconsin-Madison, and a Juris Doctor from Drake University Law School.

lmgjertson@wisc.edu

(608) 890-1023